What are the Editions of One?
The Seven Cycles’ Editions of One bikes are special projects aimed at pushing the bounds of our creativity and ability. Like every Seven, built for the person who will ride it, each is one of a kind. Each is meant to inspire. Each is meant to celebrate the craft of bike building and the freedom cycling affords us all.
We will release three Editions of One this year. The first, built back in March was the Ever Changing Evergeen. The second is currently underway, and will be completed in time for an adventurous ride this weekend. We’re calling this second Edition of One, Project Pioneer.
Project Pioneer Design Details
Eugene Christophe was leading the 1913 Tour de France when his fork broke on the descent of the Tourmalet. Prohibited from accepting outside help, he hiked 10km to the village of Ste-Marie-de-Campan with his bike on his shoulder. Once there he repaired his own fork at the forge of Mssr. Lecomte and then continued on to the finish even though the entire field passed him while he toiled and the race was lost.
The Project Pioneer bike is a tribute not only to Christophe, but to the pioneer spirit of cycling’s early decades, to the self-sufficiency that cycling fosters and to the joy of building and riding your own bicycle.
Seven built this bike in collaboration with Rapha Performance Roadwear, the Rapha Continental Team and Ride Studio Cafe for the June 7th, 2014 Pioneers Ride, designed as a tribute to the pioneers of early cycling. Details on the ride can be found here. All are welcome!
Design Details: Paying homage to the cycling era from 1900 through 1940.
- Frame: Carbon tubing with titanium lugs and chain stays.
- Tubular Truss: harkens back to bikes of this period.
- Derailleur: Three-speed, designed and built from scratch, in house. Inspired by the first derailleur ever allowed in the Tour de France, the Super Champion.
- Chain tensioner: Customized, in house.
- Shift lever: Modified in house for three-speed use.
- Gearing: 42 front; 14-18-24t cluster.
- Handlebar: Wide flare drop bar.
- Stem: Adjustable – track style, built from scratch.
- Wheels: Rims and hubs painted to match frameset.
- Skewers: Modified wing nuts.
- Paint: Logo designs and details based on the style of the era. Gold leaf logos – real gold leaf. Unpainted chainstay – reminiscent of chrome plating.
The Editions of One bikes are not for sale, but some design elements can be incorporated into our standard offerings. Each of these special bikes will remain in the Seven Cycles factory show room at the conclusion of their intended usage. For behind the scenes action of the creation of the bike, follow our Instagram feed, Twitter page or Tumblr.